Glossary of Terms¶
A reference of concepts that are used throughout the suite of SC Navigator applications around data handling.
- A configuration is created based on your selections in the wizard. This configuration produces a template for your data and determines the type of model to solve in the application. Selecting a configuration is the first step in using any SC Navigator application.
- An attribute is a piece of data that the model needs. Each attribute is defined by a combination of elements. For example, Capacity is an attribute with a value defined by a combination of Supplier, Product, Location and Period.
- A dataset is a collection of data elements that belong together to be used in the same model. All the data that is imported into Data Navigator is stored in a dataset. Datasets are created in Data Navigator to be used in other SC Navigator applications. The Dataset Type (see below) determines the possible contents of each dataset.
- Dataset Type
- A dataset type describes what data attributes can be stored in a dataset for that dataset to belong to the given type. This is determined dynamically, as the user can create Dataset Types after a dataset is created. However, even though the dataset has been created before, it can still belong to the newly created dataset type. Select the Dataset Type when creating a configuration (see Selecting Dataset Type) and when loading data into the applications. The definition of the Dataset Types are managed in Settings for Dataset Type.
- Data Template
- The template Excel file that is generated in Generate Template. Based on your answers, Data Navigator generates a custom template containing the sheets and fields for data required for that model. This means that different configurations require different fields of data input.